Microsoft cancels many of its Forefront enterprise security products
Microsoft cancels many of its Forefront enterprise security products:
- Microsoft announced on September 12 via a post to the Server & Cloud blog that it is discontinuing quite a number of its Forefront products and Many more enterprise security products are in line for extinction.
- Microsoft has already stopped some of its mainstream programs in order to make its product line more streamlined. Now, the company has stopped working on a number of Forefront enterprise security products and plans to integrate those security features into a number of other products.
- The announcement mostly affects Forefront products sold for hosted services
List of Forefront products will no longer be available for purchase from December 1, 2012.
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE)
- Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP)
- Forefront Security for Office Communications Server (FSOCS)
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 (TMG)
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway Web Protection Services (TMG WPS)
Two Forefront Products Survived from this Action are:
The blog explained that other Microsoft Forefront products will continue to be sold,They are
- Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG)
- Forefront Identity Manager.
Reason for Dropping the Forefront Products:
- Microsoft reason for dropping so many of its Forefront enterprise-security products seem to be that other products are integrating some of the same functionality.
- Microsoft is integrating "basic antimalware protection" into Exchange Server 2013. SharePoint and Lync Servers include built-in security. DirectAccess and Routing and Remote Access Server VPN in Windows Server 2012 provide secure remote access for those customers.
For Existing Customers,
- Microsoft Continue to Support for FPE, FPSP, FSOCS, TMG upto DEC 31, 2015.
- Microsoft’s Mainstream Support for TMG ends on April 14, 2015 and extended support will ends on April 14, 2020.